Thursday 25 November 2010

Life in the freezer

Well the answer to how much longer paddling would be possible was three days. The Willow trip and 7 degree c temperatures seemed a distant memory by the following Wednesday when a winter storm swept into town, kinda reminiscent of the rapid freeze scenes in The Day After Tomorrow. The temperature kept dropping until at the beginning of this week it hit minus 29 celcius/minus 20 farenheit/chuffing cold by any measurement. My truck was frozen to the driveway and took a lot of coaxing to even start, let alone move.

With the rivers frozen, driving hazardous and not really enough of the fluffy white stuff for the ski hills to be open yet, I find myself trying to stay active (the body seems to want to hibernate) mostly by trying not to slip over, shovelling snow, or visiting the gym.

I think I am beginning to understand why people here love being outdoors in the summer so much. I have no idea how they cope somewhere really Northerly, like Fairbanks. Yikes.

Frase.

1 comment:

  1. Cold? Don't make me laugh. It's going to be -4 here on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete