Saturday 4 December 2010

Snowboating


Ok so it's hardly a new sport... but it seemed to generate some interest at the local hill. Take one bored kayaker, throw in a snow slope and you have a recipe for fun (or hospital, one or the other).

There is no learning curve to speak of - aside maybe from finding the right slope - you just sit in and go :) The first few slopes I tried were too shallow and the snow too sticky, a regular toboggan was far more fun. Finally I thought I'd try a steeper slope, so went over to the hill where all the local kids go sledding. Rather than start with some of the shallower runs I picked the biggest hill, trudged my way to the top, got in and then realised as the boat picked up more and more speed that I had absolutely no way to control it. Kind of like riding a small missile... and if anyone had been in the way I'd have mowed them down. So I think lesson learned, next time I'll take my paddle and at least then I might be able to steer a bit if not actually brake. I'll take a snow shovel too and make a little kicker for jumps and more stupidity.

I stuck some video of my last run down the hill on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMxD39P3hyM and yes it was as much fun as it looks.

Meantime it has been much warmer recently, a little below zero but probably warmer than the UK! The local river is iced over for several metres on either side but is flowing in the middle, and the large ice chunks that were floating in it have mostly disappeared, so a paddle may be possible if I can find a way onto the water. I'm also hoping to head south for a bit of paddling in the New Year, more on that soon.

Frase.


1 comment: